Friday, July 04, 2008

Poetry Friday - 17

It's a lovely summer's day here - bright sunshine, but not too hot yet. I'm enjoying re-reading Garth Nix's Mister Monday as I work towards reading Superior Saturday (which I bought last week - oh the joy of having a little spare cash!), and I'm in a generally good mood (ie. I'm not thinking about what's going to happen in tomorrow's Doctor Who season finale!). Therefore, I thought I'd share this poem by Wordsworth, as it seems to suit my mood:


Upon Westminster Bridge

EARTH has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth like a garment wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!



Just gorgeous!

The Poetry Friday round up is over at In Search of Giants.

And to those enjoying a holiday weekend - Happy July 4th!

10 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, this is lovely. I was up running around the other morning at 5:15 -- woke up early for a change -- and felt this very thing -- that I owned this gorgeous place (well the park is gorgeous, anyway, this IS Glasgow we're talking about, and it's a bit gritty in some respects) and it was silent, sleeping and still.

Cheers!

Michele said...

I must admit, part of the reason I relish getting up at 4.30 am (especially in summer) is the stillness and silence whilst most of the rest of the world is still sleeping!

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, that is lovely. I don't normally make it up at 4:30, bu I do relish that early morning quiet when I can manage it, even though I'm not a morning person. There's just something magical about early, early morning when you're alone with it.

Michele said...

That's fair enough - I'm a morning person and always have been...

Glad you liked the poem!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a morning person either, but oh, the loveliness of this poem. Thanks for sharing it.

Michele said...

You're very welcome...

Unknown said...

What a beautiful poem! I'm not a morning person, but it's nice to see what I'm missing. I'm looking forward to reading Superior Saturday, too!

Michele said...

Hee - most of my friends are not morning people - but it's interesting how many of the night people I can catch when I'm up early and they're up late in the US!

I was going to jump straight in to SS, then realised that it's been a year since LF came out and I've read about 300 books (and written hundreds of thousands of words) in the mean time, so I decided a series re-read was in order (and at least they're quicker to re-read than the HP novels!)

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I have always like this one particularly. I love the early morning peace and he captures it with so much joy.

Michele said...

Yes it does!