Friday, May 02, 2008

Poetry Friday - 9

The past week has mostly left me cranky (mostly thanks to my boss screwing up my wages last week and then HR refusing to sort the matter out before I get paid next week), so I've been wallowing in some of my poetry "old favourites" to cheer myself up and I thought I'd share one of them with you for my Poetry Friday contribution:


To The Virgins, To Make Much Of Time

Gather ye Rose-buds while ye may,
Old Time is still a flying:
And this same flower that smiles today,
Tomorrow will be dying.

The glorious Lamp of Heaven, the Sun,
The higher he's a getting;
The sooner will his Race be run,
And nearer he's to Setting.

That Age is best, which is the first,
When Youth and Blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times, still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time;
And while ye may, goe marry:
For having lost but once your prime,
You may for ever tarry.


- Robert Herrick


This week's PF round-up is over at Big A, little a so hop on over and see what the Bloggers are sharing this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted two Herrick poems last August, and still return to all three poems now and again. (Here's the link to "Whenas in silks my Julia goes" and his poem in iambic monometer: http://kellyrfineman.livejournal.com/222949.html)

Michele said...

I remember - particularly do I remember "Whenas in silks my Julia goes" because it's rather wonderful...

Mary Lee said...

This is always a good reminder, no matter WHAT kind of week one is having! (Hope this coming week is better for you!)

Michele said...

Thanks - I hope so too, I'm pretty fed up with cr4ppy weeks !

And yes, it IS a good reminder !