Friday, September 14, 2007

Poetry Friday 65

It would have been Roald Dahl's 91st birthday yesterday - and as some of you know, my brain currently resides in the Whoniverse, so I thought this poem would be apt:

Television

The most important thing we've learned,
So far as children are concerned,
Is never, NEVER, NEVER let
Them near your television set –
Or better still, just don't install
The idiotic thing at all.

* * * * * *
IT ROTS THE SENSES IN THE HEAD!
IT KILLS IMAGINATION DEAD!
IT CLOGS AND CLUTTERS UP THE MIND!
IT MAKES A CHILD SO DULL AND BLIND
HE CAN NO LONGER UNDERSTAND
A FANTASY, A FAIRYLAND!
HIS BRAIN BECOMES AS SOFT AS CHEESE!
HIS POWERS OF THINKING RUST AND FREEZE!
HE CANNOT THINK – HE ONLY SEES!
"All right!" you'll cry. "All right!" you'll say,
"But if we take the set away,
What shall we do to entertain
Our darling children! Please explain!"
We'll answer this by asking you,
"What used the darling ones to do?
How used they keep themselves contented
Before this monster was invented?"
Have you forgotten? Don't you know?
We'll say it very loud and slow:
THEY... USED... TO... READ! They'd READ and READ,
AND READ and READ, and then proceed
TO READ some more.


You'll find the poem in full here.

Oh, and in case you're wondering - I AM still reading - I'm not spending all my spare time in watching Doctor Who, but I've just got very lax about posting reviews because all my writing energy is going into my Tenth Doctor/Martha Jones stories. I was slightly appalled to discover this week that I've completed 26 of them since mid-July, at a total of nearly 70, 000 words (that's actually the equivalent of a novel in three months!) But writing these stories is helping me to stay a bit saner whilst I'm working from home so I guess it's not that surprising that I've written so much !

13 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love it!

We are a TV-Free household. I hate the accursed thing

Michele said...

I'm almost TV-free - I don't watch any broadcast television - just recordings of a very small number of shows (all of them Doctor Who or David Tennant related !). The radio goes on at 5 am when I get up and as a rule stays on until I'm ready to sleep about 10 pm, unless I decide to listen to a CD or on the rare occasions (usually weekends) when I decide to watch a DVD !

slatts said...

GREAT!

My television is a monitor for the NUMEROUS movies we consume...as far as TV, I haven't a clue "what's on?" as it's not....

Michele said...

Yes, that's true for me too !

Saints and Spinners said...

This is a poem that never gets old.

My husband and I watch all of our media on computer screens after our daughter has gone to sleep. I appreciate media when it's intentional viewing, not when it's just "on."

jama said...

Great poem. Dahl is one of my favorites.

Michele said...

Dahl never gets old !

Elaine Magliaro said...

Michele,

Roald Dahl was one of my daughter's favorite authors when she was young. She loved his outrageous humor. My husband and I had fun reading his books to her. I enjoy hearing the sound of children's laughter!

Michele said...

Mine too ! I had a phase of re-reading (or reading for the first time in some cases) a whole heap of Dahl's stories last year and thoroughly enjoyed them...

Vivian Mahoney said...

This poem is awesome! I think I'm going to have to make a copy of it and stick it on the tv! Thanks for sharing this one.

Michele said...

You're welcome !!

Mary Lee said...

No need to apologize -- Watch On, Write On, Read On when you get the chance, but mostly...Stay Sane by whatever means possible!

Michele said...

Thanks Mary Lee !!